About Home Visitation
The period from birth to three is crucial to laying the foundation for a healthy, confident adulthood.
Home visitation during this time can strengthen families and boost the social and emotional development of children. A trained home visitor provides education and support to parents, helping them give their children a safe and healthy start in life.
In the U.S., over 90% of home visitation programs target “high risk” families, based on socioeconomic, psychosocial, demographic, or health factors.
Universal home visitation programs are open to all families in a community. Less than 7% of home visitation programs in the U.S. are universal.
The goals of a universal home visitation program are
- To enhance parent-child relationships
- To expand parenting knowledge and skills
- To optimize children’s early health and development
- To promote universal access to comprehensive family health care
- To build strong family-friendly communities
- To promote a safe and healthy home