Mental Health Resources
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American Psychiatric Association
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Perinatal/Maternal Mental Health
- Addiction Center: Pregnant Women and Alcohol
- AddictionResource.com (substance abuse education and prevention)
- AlcoRehab.org (alcohol abuse education and prevention)
- Center for Mood Disorders at the University of North Carolina
- Depression During and After Pregnancy: A Resource for Women, Their Families, and Friends
- e-Medicine Health
- Los Angeles County Mental Health Community Connection
- Los Angeles County Perinatal Mental Health Task Force
- MacArthur Initiative on Depression and Primary Care
- “Managing Psychosis in Pregnancy”
- MedEd PPD
- MedlinePlus – Postpartum Depression
- Motherisk Program
- National Mental Health Association
- Partners in Care: An Integrated approach to improving care for depression in primary care
- Perinatal Foundation
- Postpartum Dads
- Postpartum Fathers and Couples
- Postpartum Progress
- Postpartum Support International
- “Predicting Postpartum Depressive Symptoms in New Mothers: The Role of Optimism and Stress Frequency During Pregnancy”
- Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS): PRAMS and Postpartum Depression
www.cdc.gov/PRAMS/PDFs/PRAMS PPD Factsheet_Final.pdf
- “Psychosocial correlates of depression symptoms during the third trimester of pregnancy.”
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Postpartum Depression (english) and (spanish)
- Women's Mental Health
“Depression and Anxiety During Pregnancy: A Risk Factor for Obstetric, Fetal and Neonatal Outcome? A Critical Review of the Literature”
“Early Childhood Origins of the Income/Health Gradient: The Role of Maternal Health Behaviors”
"Management of Major Depression During Pregnancy"
Mental Health Publications
Many books can be ordered through the PSI website www.postpartum.net using Amazon.com. Many of these books are sold below list price, and a portion of those proceeds are donated to the upkeep of the PSI website. Visit the PSI website, choose to visit the PSI Postpartum Bookstore & Video Center and double click on the title of the book that you wish to buy.
- A Daughter’s Touch: A Journey of a Mother Trying to Come to Terms with Postpartum Depression 2005 by Sylvia Lasalandra. Quatto M Publishing.
- A Deeper Shade of Blue 2006 by Ruta Nonacs. Simon and Schuster.
- A Mother’s Tears: Understanding the Mood Swings that Follow Childbirth (1998) by Arlene Huysman, PhD. Appropriate for professionals. Call Publisher 7 Stories Press at: 1-800-596-7437.
- A Mouthful of Air (2004) by Amy Koppelman. Published by MacAdam/Cage Publishing. $12.50 US.
- Behind the Smile: My Journey out of Postpartum Depression (2002) by Marie Osmond. Published by Warner Books.
- Beyond The Blues, A Guide to Understanding and Treating Prenatal and Postpartum Depression (2003) by Shoshana Bennett, PhD and Pec Indman, EdD. Moodswings Press, 1050 Windsor St., San Jose, CA 95129, 408-252-5552, or toll free 888-HUG-MOMS. www.beyondtheblues.com. Bulk rates available.
- Composing Myself: A Journey Through Postpartum Depression (1998) by Fiona Shaw. Published by Steerforth Press, P.O. Box 70, South Royalton, VT, 05068. Hardback: (25% off & free shipping for PSI members only).
- Conquering Postpartum Depression, a proven plan for recovery (2003) by Ronald Rosenberg, MD. Published by De Capo Press.
- Depression in Mothers: Causes, Consequences, and Treatment Alternatives (2005), Kathleen A. Kendall-Tackett, PhD, IBCLC, Published by Hayworth Maltreatment and Trauma Press, Binghampton, NY.
- Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression (2005) by Brooke Shields. Published by Hyperion.
- Evaluation and Treatment of Postpartum Emotional Disorders (1997) by Ann Dunnewold, PhD. ISBN: 1-56887-024-8. Published by Professional Resources Press, Box 15560, Sarasota, FL, 34277-1560. To order call: 1-800-443-3364, fax: 941-343-9201, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit: www.prpress.com.
- Hillbilly Gothic: A Memoir of Madness and Motherhood 2006 by Adrienne Matrini. Free Press.
- Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out with the Diapers (2005) by Marrit Ingman. Seal Press.
- Infanticide: Psychosocial and Legal Perspectives on Mothers Who Kill (2002) by Margaret Spinelli. Published by American Psychiatric Publishing.
- Laughter and Tears: The Emotional Life of New Mothers 1997 by Elisabeth Bing and Libby Coleman.
- Mommies Cry Too: A Painful and Triumphant Story of Postpartum Depression 2006 by Carol S. Harcarik. Hartington Press.
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders During Pregnancy and Postpartum (2005), edited by Lee S. Cohen, M.D. and Ruta M. Nonacs, M.D., Ph.D., published by American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., Washington, DC.
- Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Anxiety (1998) by Linda Sebastian. Published by Addicus Books. To order call: 1-800-352-2873.
- Parallel Play 2007 by Thomas Rayfiel. Random House Trade Paperbacks.
- Perinatal Psychiatry: Use and Misuse of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (1994) by John Cox, M.D., and Jeni Holden. To order call: 1-800-368-5777 or fax: 202-798-2648. Order #DLBB8631. American Psychiatric Publishing Group, 1400 K. Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20005, USA.
- Postpartum Depression and Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide for New Mothers by Pacific Postpartum Support Society. $10.00 + $2.00 shipping. To order call: 604-255-7999 or write: #104-1416 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, V5L 3X9, Canada. English & French
- Postpartum Depression and Child Development (1997) edited by Lynne Murray and Peter Cooper. 322 pages. Guilford Publications, Dept. 5R, 72 Spring St., New York, NY 10012, USA. To order call: 1-800-365-7006 or e-mail: email@example.com.
- Postpartum Depression for Dummies 2007 by Shoshana Bennett (Author), Mary Jo Cody (Foreward). For Dummies.
- Postpartum Depression: Every Woman’s Guide to Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention (1997) by Sharon Roan.
- Postpartum Husband: Practical Solutions for Living with Postpartum Depression (2001) by Karen Kleiman. Published by Xlibris Corporation.
- Postpartum Mood and Anxiety Disorders: A Clinician’s Guide (2006), Cheryl T. Beck, and Jeanne Watson Driscoll, Published by Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sadbury, MA.
- Postpartum Mood Disorders (1999) edited by Laura Miller, M.D. 280 pages. Published by American Psychiatric Publishing Group, 1400 K. Street, SW, Washington, DC, 20005, USA. To order call 1-800-368-5777, fax: 202-789-2648, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit: www.appi.org.
- Postpartum Survival Guide (1994) by Ann Dunnewold, Ph.D and Diane Sanford, Ph.D. Published by New Harbinger Publications (out of print)
- Practitioners (2005), by Jeannette Milgrom, et al, Published by John Wiley & Sons, LTD.
- Pregnancy (2005), Shaila Misri, M.D., FRCPC, Published by Bantam Dell, New York, NY.
- Pregnancy Blues: What Every Woman Needs to Know About Depression During Rock-A-By Baby Feminism, Self-Help and Postpartum Depression (1996) by Verta Taylor, Ph.D., Published by Routledge.
- Shouldn’t I Be Happy: Emotional Problems of Pregnant and Postpartum Women (1995) by Shaila Misri, M.D. Published by Simon and Schuster.
- The Cradle Will Fall 1996 by Carl Burak and Michele Remington.
- The Ghost in the House: Motherhood, Raising Children, and Struggling with Depression (2006) by Tracy Thompson. Harper Collins.
- The Journey to Parenthood: Myths, Reality, and What Really Matters 2007 by Diana Lynn Barnes and Leigh Balber. Radcliffe Publishing.
- The Lifter of My Head: How God Sustained Me During Postpartum Depression 2007 by Susan McRoberts. Tate Publishing and Enterprizes.
- The Mother-to-Mother Postpartum Depression Support Book (2006) by Sandra Poulin. Published by Berkley Trade.
- The New Mother Syndrome: Coping with Postpartum Stress and Depression (1985) by Carol Dix. Published by Doubleday. (out of print)
- The Post-Adoption Blues: Overcoming the Unforeseen Challenges of Adoption 2004 by Karen J. Foli and John R. Thompson.
- This Isn’t What I Expected (1994) by Karen Kleiman, M.S.W., and, Varlerie Raskin, M.D. Published by Bantam Books
- Treating Postnatal Depression: A Psychological Approach for Health Care
- What Am I Thinking?: Having a Baby After Postpartum Depression, Karen Kleiman, MSW (2005)
- When Words Are Not Enough: The Women’s Prescription for Depression and Anxiety (1997) by Valerie Raskin, M.D. Published by Broadway Books
- Why I Jumped: My True Story of Postpartum Depression, Dramatic Rescue & Return To Hope 2006 by Tina Zahn. Revell.
- Wiped!: Life with a Pint Size Dictator 2007 by Rebecca Eckler. Villard.
- Women's Moods: What Every Woman Must Know About Hormones, the Brain, and Emotional Health (2000) by Deborah Sichel and Jeanne Driscoll. Published by Harper.